Simple Ways to Save on Your Travels

Travel has a way of making money disappear. Of course, there are the large costs, like accommodation and airfare, but even smaller expenses, like meals out, attraction tickets, and souvenir shopping add up until your holiday budget is completely blown. Travel is supposed to be fun and enjoyable, but that doesn’t mean that your bank account needs to be left in shambles afterwards. Whether you’re spending a week in Morocco or a weekend in Dorset, there are plenty of simple ways to save some cash. Here are four simple ways to save on your travels.

Sunrise from the plane - Travel photography | by Giuseppe Milo (www.pixael.com)

Source

1. Time Your Travel Wisely

Your travel savings should begin before you even leave your home. Whether you’re flying, taking a train, or renting a car, you need to time your trip wisely and go during off-peak seasons. These tend to be when children are still at school. This should also save you money on attractions and accommodation. To increase these accommodation savings, you should stay over a Sunday. Most hotels have fewer bookings this day, so they’re more willing to offer discounted rates.

1. Look For Free Activities

When you’re off on holiday, it’s only natural to want to do as much in your time away as you can. That being said, there’s no reason why all of your activities should come with a ticket and a cost. Instead, you should do some research and look for free things to do, filling most of your schedule with these activities. From beaches to museums, most towns have lots to explore, so you should have no trouble finding something fun to do in your spare time.

1. Rent A Whole Apartment

If you plan to travel with your family or a group of friends, then finding living space for you all to share at a hotel can be difficult and expensive. Thankfully, there are other options for you to consider. One of the most popular is renting an apartment. If you like the amenities that come with a hotel, then you could always consider serviced accommodation, like the apart hotels here. Both of these allow you to cook your own food, which would save you cash on meals out too.

Paris, Parisian, France, Urban, Street, City, Traffic

Source

1. Live Like The Locals

That being said, there are going to be times throughout your trip when you’d rather not have to cook your own meals. When this happens, you should avoid major food chains and tourist spots and eat like the locals instead. Moving just one block over from tourist areas can save you lots of money and offer more authentic food. However, it’s not just eating that you should do like the locals. You should also shop where they do and use public transportation instead of driving.

Whether you’re staying close to home or flying halfway around the world, travel can always be an expensive experience, so much so, in fact, that many people avoid it due to the costs alone. However, no one should have to give up their holiday dreams because of money worries, so follow the tips above to save some cash on your travels.

Share:

1. September 28, 2018 / 7:29 pm

These were great tips! I agree that going away can be super pricey even for a week in Wales/Cornwall, as much as I love to eat out on holiday we do usually cook in our accommodation a few days to try and reduce costs as meals out can add up to so much!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

2. September 28, 2018 / 7:34 pm

This is super helpful! I think we automatically travel like tourists wherever we go, and we don’t think to travel and be like the locals, that was a great point to make. Great post!

Chelsea ♡ http://www.thedailychelsea.com

3. September 28, 2018 / 8:00 pm

Great tips! I always try to live like locals more from a cultural point of view but I suppose it’s also money saving compared to going to chain places etc!

4. September 28, 2018 / 8:10 pm

Awesome tips! Thanks for sharing these 😊

5. September 29, 2018 / 7:54 am

Great tips! We found travelling on a Sunday much cheaper for airfare and hotel price when we went to Madrid in June.
    I deffo agree with eating like a local, not only will it be cheaper but the food will more than likely be better and super yummy!
    Great post!

Aimsy xoxo

6. Chloe Francis
    September 30, 2018 / 9:00 am

Loved this post! I’ll definitely have to get researching as I rally do want to travel more – keeping this favourited for future! xx

7. September 30, 2018 / 7:09 pm

Great post Emma, useful tips! I especially agree with living like the locals as not only can it help save money but it will also give you a richer travel experience!

8. September 30, 2018 / 7:12 pm

These are such great tips! I agree that eating out can get super expensive so it’s definitely a good idea to cook your own meals even if it’s just for a couple of nights. Loved this post!xx

9. September 30, 2018 / 7:16 pm

Renting a whole apartment defo has many benefits! Cheaper and so much more freedom! You cook there so you save on food as well! Free activities are always helping too!

10. September 30, 2018 / 7:18 pm

Absolutely agree with all these tips Emma! You don’t necessarily have to spend big to enjoy a holiday. I’m prepping a similar post to this for my own blog that should be done soon but this post is really gonna help too.

Johnny | Johnny’s Traventures

11. asouthernworldblog
    September 30, 2018 / 7:19 pm

Great tips!! I definitely agree with traveling during the off-season. It can be very relaxing to visit spots that aren’t crowded. You can take your time and explore!

12. September 30, 2018 / 7:20 pm

This is a really great post, I find travelling can be so expensive so these tips are really helpful. Especially the idea of living like the locals being a really good way to save money! X

13. September 30, 2018 / 7:23 pm

I love this post! I have a trip planned at the end of this month so I’ll definitely be taking your tips on board! Timing your travel wisely is a really good tip. You can get the best deals that way!

14. September 30, 2018 / 7:27 pm

Great insight – it’s always great to save a bit of extra money! I am someone who can travel somewhere and just be happy wandering and taking in the atmosphere – I love it.

Whenever I plan a trip I spend ages choosing different dates on the travel providers booking system to work out what dates and times become cheapest – I always do this before even booking time off at work. Once I have found roughly when the good prices will be I book time off work and then decide within those days which is the cheapest to go on 🙂

Hayley | hayleyxmartin

15. September 30, 2018 / 7:34 pm

I’d love to rent an apartment! These are great tips – I can’t wait to start travelling more 🙂

-Charlotte / myownblogofthoughts.blogspot.com

16. September 30, 2018 / 8:13 pm

Such a great blog post. I love going traveling and am always looking for great deals or off peak times to travel as it saves so much money. Some great ideas on how to save money but also get the most out of your travels x

Steph

17. September 30, 2018 / 8:52 pm

All good tips! We try to buy groceries instead of eating out all the time, even when we don’t have an apartment. Or a bottle of wine for our room instead of going to the bar.
    It all adds up!

18. September 30, 2018 / 9:27 pm

Great tips! I definitely agree with them all but didn’t think about living like a local before reading this post! Thanks for sharing!

19. September 30, 2018 / 10:45 pm

These are great ways to save on travels! You can still get the full experience without breaking the bank. I’ve seen families who travel together renting an apartment – it goes a long way! I love free activities, hehe. Thanks for sharing!