This post may not apply to you at the present time, but perhaps over the years it would be something worth considering when looking for a new job. Within the post I will reveal my 5 ways to feeling comfortable within the work place.
Most of us spend more time at work than we do at home, socialising and having fun! Therefore it is key to feel happy and comfortable where you work. Each work place is different, whether you are office based, work in a field or work from Home. But feelings comfortable where you work is key.
5 ways to feel comfortable within the work place
1. Before taking a job make sure it’s the right opportunity for you, whether that be checking the age range of people you’ll be working with, the ethos of the company or the general work space you would be working in. It’s key to find out what you would be letting yourself in for before you start.
2. Remember you are the newbie so everyone will be looking to get to know you, observe you to see how you take to the role so….try your best. Make sure you make an effort to engage with people within your team so you don’t feel out of place or alone.
3. Your fellow team are there to support and assist you whilst you get to grips with learning a new role, do not be afraid to ask for help! Make sure you speak up if you get stuck rather than struggle. It’s key to feel part of the team so being able to ask for support early on will allow you to adapt to the role and fit in.
4. Within an office environment there may be a lot of banter, remember it’s part of the ethos so do not take comments to heart. (I personally did when I started working at my current workplace, but as time has gone on it’s all part of the ‘fun’ so join in and don’t feel intimidated by others).
5. Join in social events, don’t be shy as people will not make an effort with you if you keep yourself to yourself. Trying to slot into a new team can be challenging but remember… they picked you out of a number of applicants so show them why they made the BEST decision!
(This is me… in a sumo suit at our latest summer staff party)
The secret to feeling happy and comfortable at work is ensuring you are doing a job you enjoy, that you are fully aware of the job role before joining and that your work colleagues treat you fairly! I hope you found my ‘5 ways to feeling comfortable in the work place’ both enlightening and useful.
But remember if you ever feel like you are being bullied or ‘picked on’ within the workplace make sure you speak out!! As you may not be alone, at nobody can resolve something they no nothing about. Fancy finding out 50 things that make me happy?