A Weekend in The Dam

Amsterdam

Back in 2016 I was lucky enough to spend ‘A weekend in the Dam!’ Amsterdam is a beautiful, enlightening and controversial European city set in the heart of the Netherlands (Holland). I visited Amsterdam as part of a mini European tour of Holland and Germany (Berlin post coming soon). There is an ever growing array of ‘tourist’ things to do whilst in Amsterdam and I hope to cover MOST of them within my post. We visited Amsterdam in March, hence the warm clothing, scarves, hats and gloves. We were very lucky with the weather as we actually didn’t experience any rain whilst in Amsterdam. Amsterdam is popular for it’s canals and narrow houses.

Places to see

• Anne Frank Museum

The Anne Frank Museum is a must for anybody visiting Amsterdam, it’s a very enlightening museum being able to experience. The Anne Frank House is a museum all about the story of where the family lived and the conditions they experienced during. Annelies Marie Frank was a German-born diarist. One of the most discussed Jewish victims of the Holocaust, she gained fame posthumously with the publication of ‘The Diary of a Young Girl’, in which she documents her life in hiding from 1942 to 1944, during the German occupation of the Netherlands in World War II. The Anne Frank Museum is an emotional exhibition portraying where Anne and her family went into hiding, the rooms are small and cramped, sadly the rooms are exactly how they were at the time, for obvious reasons. But it’s amazing to see where Anne wrote her book during the holocaust. I definitely do not know how anybody could of lived in such a small space… But I suppose they had no choice!

• The IAMSTERDAM Signs

As you may be aware Amsterdam is famous for its ‘IAMSTERDAM’ signs which are dotted around the city, be sure not to miss them! Actually, I am pretty sure you will spot them, along with the swarms of tourists posing on/beside and underneath the letters 🙂 It’s a good laugh and a lovely way to show you’ve been to Amsterdam. Of course it’ll make a great snap for Instagram. A weekend in the Dam wouldn’t be complete without the ‘Iamsterdam’ sign. I love being a tourist wherever I go so I couldn’t miss out on a picture at the sign (which was in fact less than a minute walk from our hotel).

• Amsterdam Ice Bar – Xtra Cold

We booked the Ice Bar from a local visitor centre which organised excursions, it worked out to be less than €20 each! You’ll receive three free tokens at Amsterdam Icebar. Two silver and one golden token. You can exchange these tokens at our two bars. The first bar you’ll enter is our ‘heated’ front bar. Here you can exchange your golden token and order a large Heineken beer, glass of wine, cocktail or non-alcoholic beverage. After you’ve visited the ice bar Amsterdam’s front bar, you will enter the actual ice bar in the back where you can exchange your two silver tokens for beer, strong alcohol shots or orange juice. We will be given, gloves and a LOVELY blue cape [which was way to big for me!]. The drinks come in ice cube, so be careful they slide around.

• Heineken Experience

Myself and my friend Molly aren’t massive beer drinkers, but everyone talked about how the ‘Heineken Experience’ was a must when in Amsterdam. So we decided to check it out! And we weren’t disappointed. The Heineken Tour costs €18 which includes;

• 1.5 hour experience tour

• When booked online – a time slot to suit you

• 2 chilled beers from the best ‘Dam bar

• A free city map of the best hidden gems of Amsterdam

The whole experience was interesting and engaging, don’t forget to try a few halfs of heineken whilst you are there and you can even purchase your own personalised pint glass from the shop on the way out.

• Canal Boat Cruise

We purchased a ‘IAMSTERDAM City Card‘ before we travelled and just picked it up from the airport on our arrival. The card allowed us 48 hours access [you can choose 24/48/72 hour cards] to GVB public transport – the trams were interesting to navigate! Just remember to scan your card or you could face a penalty charge. The card allows you a free Canal Cruise, the stop off points are all indicated in the map within the card information. It was so easy to get around amsterdam via bus or tram and the Canal Cruise was a great way to explore the hidden depths of Dam life. I’d definitely recommend purchasing the Iamsterdam Card, it also gives you free access to certain museums and discounts galore.

Amsterdam offers so much to see and do but that is all we had time for whilst in the city! Actually I lie, we did take a visit to the Red Light District which was a eye opener to anyone visiting the city. It does have to been seen though as Amsterdam is famour for their red light district. One tip… try and avoid the dead end alleys which lead to a brothel… That wasn’t quite where we wanted to end up! It was a good laugh never the less.

A weekend in the Dam should be on everyone’s bucket list, the canals are beautiful the people so friendly and helpful and the food was incredible! I’d love to return one day.. But if Amsterdam doesn’t take your fancy why not visit the lovely Budapest?

EMMA

July 17, 2018 / 9:51 am

The Anne Frank museum is a must if you go!

1. July 15, 2018 / 7:13 pm

Would love to visit the anne musem and amsterdam in general! a canal boat cruise would be great too!

July 17, 2018 / 9:52 am

There’s so many things to see and do Ellie! I’d recommend going for at least 3/4 days to see most of it 🙂

2. July 15, 2018 / 7:20 pm

Everyone I know has been to Amsterdam except me! I’d defo be going more for the history of the place than the naughty stuff! Anne franks museum would be top of my list!
    Rosie

July 17, 2018 / 9:53 am

Amsterdam is full of history, so you won’t be disappointed 🙂

July 17, 2018 / 9:53 am

Never had a stroop waffle! I think another visit to Amsterdam is need 🙂 Thanks Kate!

3. July 15, 2018 / 7:50 pm

I’d love to visit Amsterdam one day! I did hear the ice bar was a lot of fun. Glad you had a good time! xx

Jay

July 17, 2018 / 9:54 am

Definitely put it on your bucket list Jay! It’s a fab city 🙂

4. July 15, 2018 / 8:08 pm

I love Amsterdam – we once went and by fortunate accident it was the tulip festival. OMG! It has to be seen <3

July 17, 2018 / 9:54 am

I am so jealous – The tulip festival sounds and looks amazing!

5. July 15, 2018 / 8:43 pm

I visited Amsterdam this time last year and we didn’t go to the Ice Bar. I will have to add it for the list for next time!!

Alice // sullialice

July 17, 2018 / 9:55 am

You won’t be disappointed Becca!

6. July 15, 2018 / 9:40 pm

This looks amazing! I want to visit Amsterdam so badly. The Ice Bar looks epic and it’s on my bucket list to go on a canal tour. Amazing post, love. I’m happy I have stumbled across your blog. x

July 17, 2018 / 9:50 am

The ice bar was amazing! I’d highly recommend 🙂

7. July 15, 2018 / 10:01 pm

Amsterdam is on our travel list. This post is a great guide for must-see places. I would really love to go to Ann Frank museum; the canal boat cruise sounds fun too!

July 17, 2018 / 9:50 am

There is so much to do in Amsterdam! Too much to see in a weekend 🙂 I am glad you enjoyed the post.

8. July 15, 2018 / 11:39 pm

Love that you made the most out of your weekend trip to Amsterdam. It is always nice to go to a museum and learn some history. This is why diaries are important – it can serve as a contributing piece to making history! I’ve heard of the icebar and it’s definitely a place I want to check out XD. Glad you got to check out the cruise as well!

9. Britt | Alternatively Speaking
    July 16, 2018 / 11:12 am

Amsterdam has always been on my list of places that I want to visit. My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe hopefully in 2020 and it’s one of the locations that has been included in the itinerary.
    Britt

10. July 16, 2018 / 3:07 pm

I’ve never been to Amsterdam but whenever I see posts about it, I always feel slightly envious when I see them at the Ice Bar. Definitely on my travel bucket list. Looks like you made the most out of a short trip x

11. thefrenchiestblog
    July 26, 2018 / 8:02 pm

I have Amsterdam on my bucket list for years now ! I can’t wait to be able to go ! Thank you for sharing your recommendations 😉

12. August 14, 2018 / 10:09 am

I’ve always wanted to go to the Dam, thank you for sharing your Experience. Makes me want to visit even more now 😂❤️

August 14, 2018 / 1:07 pm

It’s an amazing place – if you decide to go, let me know if you need any more tips 🙂

13. October 30, 2018 / 9:51 am

Fantastic post with some great ideas for people looking for things to do in Amsterdam! I visited the city recently and did everything except the ICE bar so I think I’ll have to go back and try that next time it sounds incredible