How to Save Money in 5 Easy Steps

If you haven’t seen already one of my spring goals is to save as much money as possible to purchase my own home. This of course comes with lifestyle sacrifices, which isn’t easy for anybody! Let alone someone who loves new clothes and weekends away…But I cannot wait to have my own place, somewhere that I can make my home.

I therefore decided to write a little review about 5 ways in which you could save money, whether you are saving money for a new car, that exciting adventure across the world or for your own first home. I hope you find my tips both useful, mindful and interesting.

My 5 steps to saving money

•  Setting up your own budget

Firstly, being able to establish what you are saving for, and how much you are looking to save is very important in your steps to saving. Setting a monthly budget will allow you to be more aware of your income and outgoings.

This will help to establish a realistic timeframe, when you can feasible reach your saving target. This could be a couple of months or over a few years, this would be down to your individual situation. The budget therefore will help kick your spending habits and make you more aware of what you are spending.

Cutting unnecessary spending will help to save your cash, and also will be more rewarding in the future. This leads onto my next saving tip I’m sure we are all culprits of this next step!

•  Preparing your own food at home

Eating at home is cheaper and healthier than going out for a meal or grabbing a takeaway! Try to encourage yourself to be more adventurous with your cooking, this will therefore make it more enjoyable and fun to do.

I love eating out and it’s definitely more of a social thing in today’s society, but I’ve really started to limit how many times I eat out a month, and noticed the savings I’ve made.

I used to be the person who’d buy lunches everyday for work, I didn’t realise at the time exactly the money I was “wasting” by doing this… even a £3 meal deal everyday equates to around £60 a month. Are you a lunch buy? Could this be a way of money saving for you?

• Signing up to loyalty schemes

Most supermarkets and shops have their own reward schemes, from Sainsbury’s Nectar Card to the Boots Advantage Card. Each shop offers their own type of rewards whether it be points which lead to money off vouchers or discounts off purchases after you’ve spent a selected amount in your transactions.

I often save up my Boots Advantage points and then spend them on a new foundation or perfume, I feel this way I am able to benefit from the points I’ve collected and it’s a little treat to myself 🙂

Do you use loyalty cards? What are your thoughts on them?

• Shopping around for cheaper providers

Checking comparison sites can be a great way to save lots of money, for example if you are renewing your car insurance head over to comparison websites such as; Compare the Meerkat , Go Compare or Money Supermarket which all help us everyday to find the best/most cost effective deal. When I last renewed my insurance in August my current provided tried charging me an extra £85 compared to the year before, eventhough I hadn’t claimed or changed any of my details. I headed straight to Compare the Meerkat entered all my details and another insurer could offer me an amazing deal… in fact £50 less than I paid the year before, what a bargain!

It definitely pays to shop around for the best deal! This also can be related to mobile phone contracts, via different service providers shopping around could land you with a better deal, with more data and paying less per a month… Shop around or look out for monthly deals instore.

• Selling any unwanted items

Like me I am sure in your wardrobe oyu have clothing with the labels still attached, gathering dust! I often do this, I forget to return the item… Opps! So a great way of makign money is to sell these items which are unloved or unwanted, this could be anything ranging from shoes, clothing or house hold items. The best ways to sell your items:

Ebay – Although Ebay charge commission on each item which is sold, it’s a great way to sell clothing and shoes Ebay attracts a large number of customers/visitors worldwide therefore the items are open to a wide audience.

Gumtree – Excellent for bulkier items which are difficult to post, the buyer can easily come and pick up the item saving on commission and posting. This may not be suitable to all as I know some people would feel uncomfortable with strangers coming to their house.

Facebay – Similar to Gumtree, Facebays are targeted at local individuals who can easily collect their item eliminating the need to go to the post office to send the item and also being paid cash in hand could be an advantage to you.

Carboot Sales – I am sure you have attended one in your lifetime, whether it be on your own or with family and friends. Selling at a carboot sale is a great way to ‘spring clean’ your wardrobe and cupboards of unwanted items, buyers can easily see the items and you can make deals by haggling the price for sales. As a seller you would pay for your car, so why not team up with a friend, halve the cost and make lots of money and space!

I hope you found these steps useful. Good luck with your saving 🙂

I’d love to hear about how you save your money? And if you’d consider any of the steps above?

1. Greatness Reinvented
    April 29, 2018 / 6:17 pm

Some great tips another great thing to use is a micro saving service like plum. Micro transactions you hardly notice coming out of your bank account. You would be surprised how quickly it heads up. We paid for our Aruba holiday through it.

GR | https://www.thegreat.uk/save-with-plum/

April 29, 2018 / 6:18 pm

I will be checking that out 🙂 thank you for the heads up! Emma x

2. April 29, 2018 / 7:04 pm

This post is so useful! I have so much to save for at the moment and I take full advantage of loyalty cards and receipt offers. I recently started selling unwanted items on eBay and Depop, it was difficult at first but once you get the hang of it, it’s easy peasy!

Fran | http://www.franciscarockey.co.uk

April 29, 2018 / 7:27 pm

I am so glad you found the post useful, I love saving up all my loyalty points to treat myself 🙂 Well Done on the ebay selling! X

April 30, 2018 / 10:09 am

I never realised how much I actually spent on eating out until I decided to keep all my receipts for a month… I was shocked! x

3. April 29, 2018 / 7:55 pm

Some great tips here that I’m sure most people can use!! I totally agree about the preparing food at home!

April 30, 2018 / 10:08 am

I’m glad you found them useful Lorna 🙂 x

4. April 29, 2018 / 9:04 pm

These are really good ideas. I recently ordered a Nectar card and I’ve been selling so many things on Gumtree! It can definitely help 🙂
    Alys

April 30, 2018 / 8:51 am

Great idea Alys! Then you can enjoy the Nectar rewards 🙂 x

5. April 29, 2018 / 9:49 pm

These are some great tips! I’m also trying to save money for a deposit on a mortgage and it’s going pretty well but I could definitely do better if I stopped buying makeup I don’t need and clothes etc! I love my Boots and Superdrug cards as like you I treat myself when I have enough points for something I really want! I definitely agree with the takeaways me and my Fiancè used to eat out loads but we’ve definitely cut down as a way to save some extra money!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

April 30, 2018 / 8:50 am

Good luck with your saving Jess 🙂 Eating out is one of my main habits, so I’ve limited my eating outs and takeaways x

• April 30, 2018 / 5:27 pm

Thanks lovely! It’s so tempting after a long day at work to think I’ll grab something on the way home even when there are things in the house just for convenience so I’m trying to limit myself to one takeaway a week at the most!x

6. April 30, 2018 / 9:43 am

You got this Emma! I’m trying to save for my first home to, it’s such an exciting thought, but so tricky to know where to begin. I cut back on my expenses recently and I’ve noticed a massive change in the amount I have left at the end of every month x

7. ashton
    April 30, 2018 / 5:52 pm

Loyalty programmes are my fav. I actually have too many of the cards in my wallet that i have run out of space

May 1, 2018 / 9:40 am

I know that feeling too well.. I have so many 🙂 x

8. tylerbelle
    May 1, 2018 / 1:02 pm

Amazing!! I actually wrote an article about this as well 😊😊 would I be able to link to your article??

May 1, 2018 / 1:45 pm

Of course! Feel free to link to this page 🙂 Thank you x

9. May 27, 2018 / 2:49 pm

I’ve always prepped my own food at home as yes this is a huge money saver! Must start selling things online though, always forget about that, have so much stuff of value just lying around not being used!! Cool post!

10. May 27, 2018 / 4:49 pm

Saving money can be so hard and there are some really great tips in here that I think everyone could use. Great post!

May 29, 2018 / 12:39 pm

Thank you Kristin! I completely agree saving is really difficult but amazing when you can final buy that special something you’ve always wanted 🙂

11. May 28, 2018 / 12:09 am

A great set of tips, but you might want to be careful with number three. Loyalty cards can suck you into buying things that are more expensive or that you don’t need. I have a loyalty card, and I try to calculate what the savings would be if I could use the loyalty points right away. ie: if 10 points is a dollar, and I need to buy two to get 10 points, that’s like getting $.50 off each on a delayed basis. Then I ask myself if the item would be a good buy at $.50 off.

12. May 28, 2018 / 4:56 pm

These are great tips!! All of them extremely important! I really like your tip about using rewards from shops, I use a few if these atbthebstores I shop most and they send me money back! I love it. Thanks for sharing! Good luck buying your first home!!

June 6, 2018 / 9:38 am